Most ordinary tanners work with a chemical form of DHA that has been found to dry and damage the skin and often smells unpleasant. Skinny Tan is one of the first self-tanners to use a natural tanning active derived from the seeds of the Brassica napus plant. This makes it a bio-organic form of DHA that works naturally with the amino acids in the skin to create the darkening reaction for a natural looking tan. Being a natural tanning active any unpleasant smell is significantly reduced and most people cannot detect it at all. It is also gentle and less drying on the skin than tanners using the chemical form of DHA.
Skinny Tan includes Guarana a caffeine derivative that is an important ingredient in the most popular firming and cellulite creams. It is Guarana’s high caffeine content that can help stimulate a process that can help visibly reduce the appearance of cellulite at the surface of the skin. Tanned cellulite also always looks better than white cellulite so by tanning with Skinny Tan you get the double benefit with one application. As we say at Skinny Tan if you can’t tone it - tan it!
Click here to learn about our fully Guild accredited spray tan courses. You do not have to have attended our course to use our products on your clients, as long as you have passed a recognised spray tanning course.
The active ingredient in Skinny Tan is a natural form of dihydroxyacetone (DHA) derived from seeds. It is a type of sugar. It's non-toxic and works by interacting with the protein of the skin cells in the top, dead layer of skin.
Skinny Tan creams won't harm pregnant womens’ babies as when rubbed onto the skin the creams don’t go beyond the top cell layer. This means they aren’t absorbed into the body. As your skin renews itself, the Skinny Tan fades as the skins cells are shed.
However, if women use any fake tan spray or a spray-tanning booth, then they may inhale some of the vapours. There is no evidence to know how breathing in ANY fake tan spray will affect an unborn baby.
To be on the safe side during pregnancy, Skinny Tan would suggest using cream based tanning only.
Just as with self-tanners preparation and maintenance is key to getting a great result from a Spray Tan.
We advise our Skinny Tan therapists to talk clients through the important do’s and don’ts before they arrive for their appointment. After all, you are the expert, it is down to you to help your clients achieve the perfect tan.
Here are our pointers!
Before arriving for a Spray tan
- Do ensure if you intend to shave, make sure this has happened a few hours before the spray or before the application of the tanning cream.
- Do not shower just before a spray tan or before applying cream tans. This may mean your pores are open and the tanners clog them. Ideally leave a few hours between showering and tanning.
- Do use an exfoliating scrub or loofa your skin a few hours prior to tanning. Pay particular attention to dry areas such as elbows, knees and backs of heels.
- Do not use oil based moisturisers on the day you intend to get tanned. The residue can make it difficult for the spray or cream to absorb into the body. This may lead to the guide colour appearing streaky. However with Skinny Tan even if the guide colour is streaky, the tan that is developing underneath will still be perfect.
- Wear loose fitting clothes to attend the tanning salon or whilst you are waiting for cream based tans to develop. You do not want to rub the solution off before it has had the chance to develop.
- Allow as long as possible for the tan to develop before showering off the guide colour. Skinny Tan products cannot over develop so ideally leave them on over-night. If any guide colour comes off on your bedding, this is just make up and will come out in the washing machine.
- Have a light shower the following day and admire your natural tan.
- It is really important to keep the skin hydrated so drink lots of water and use lots of moisturiser to prolong your tan.
Tip No 3 - Layer to get the most natural shade
Never choose a tanner that calls itself ‘dark’ as you could find yourself looking way too fake. It is far better to choose a medium natural shade like Skinny Tan and apply a few times to get the darker shade you like naturally. Skinny Tan self-tanners will build like a natural tan and fade like a natural tan. Each application layer will take the skin tone two shades darker that the layer before.More tips and advice